One cannot simply delete a department (in some cases) in SeamlessDesk so it is important that you make sure you consider this before making your department.
Why can’t I just delete my department?
Well actually you can, but that only applies as long as no other database links and data have been associated with that department. You see when you create a department and you start associating things like Users and Tickets to those departments then we have a link created. When that link exists then deleting the department is not as simple.
There are several ways you can get around deleting a department
- You can simply rename your department (recommended)
- You can manually remove the department from other links after which point you may delete the department
- You can transfer all existing data associated with this department to a new one
For the sake of this article, we are only concentrating on the second option which is you removing all the links that department has to other areas of SeamlessDesk manually so that you can remove the department.
Step 1 (Tickets)
While tickets do not have to have a department assigned to them in order for them to function correctly you may already have many that do. Depending on how many tickets you have assigned to that department this can be a daunting task, but if you are willing to take the time to do this then it may be your worthwhile.
The first thing you will want to do (and we recommend) is to associate yourself with that one department you want to remove. This way the only tickets you will see are those tickets. You can change this after you’re done. You can change your departments here.
Next, you will want to head over to the ticket’s screen.
Remember that you have 4 different categories of tickets (Open, Pending, Solved and Closed) so you will want to go to each of those categories and make those changes. You can simply click on the corresponding button at the top of the screen shown in the image below.
Once you are viewing the correct category of tickets then you can do the following
- Change the number of rows you can view and choose the largest amount. If you have more than what shows on the first page then you will have to click on each page to select the next row.
- Click on the checkbox on the top header located to the left. This will select all your tickets for that page.
- Once selected a pull-down menu will appear called “Batch Actions”. Here you will choose “Set Department”.
- After choosing “Set Department” a new pull-down will appear where you can select the department you want to change those selected tickets to.
- Once you have chosen the department than simply click on “Run” and you’re done.
Remember that you may have several pages of tickets so you will have to manually go to each page and repeat the steps above.
Step 2 (Canned Replies)
Some of your canned replies might be associated with department groups. If they are you will have the remove them. As an administrator, you will see all canned replies so you can edit them all. Click on each canned reply and see if the department is listed in the department groups section and remove it. Make sure to save your changes.
Step 3 (Scheduler)
The Scheduler is where you can create pre-determined tickets to be sent to other agents and users. Some of these may have been created with the department you are trying to remove so you will have to go through those and remove that department or change it.
Step 4 (Ticket Templates)
Ticket Templates are created to provide regular users an easy option to select an issue you have created for them as a Ticket Template. Again these may be associated with the department you want to delete so you will have to check all of these templates and change them. Make sure you save your changes.
Step 5 (User Types)
User Types is part of the ITSM and ITIL portion of SeamlessDesk which allows your IT staff to provide services for new users such as setting up a new employee and providing them with all the necessary equipment that particular user needs for their job as well as track the IT departments current progress in that setup.